Honeymoon in Italy
After our amazing 5 night experience in Lake Como, Italy with 25 of our closest family and friends we decided to do our honeymoon in Italy for 9 nights. Our itinerary took us by train from Lake Como down south to a beautiful 5 town area called Cinque Terre on the Mediterranean. We stayed 4 nights in Riomaggiore, the southernmost town of the 5. We stayed all 4 nights on the water in an apartment called Cargavu, part of La Scogliera. From Cinque Terre we traveled east by train to Venice, where we stayed 3 nights at 2 different hotels. From there we traveled again by train to Milan and spent 2 nights in a hotel next to the Milan Duomo in the city center. Our honeymoon in Italy was spectacular.
I invite you to look at how we spent 9 nights during our honeymoon in Italy for 420 Euros, saving us 5,698 Euros off the retail price of 6,118 Euros. See details and photos below.
*Note – I am doing this retroactively since I didn’t have this idea of explaining all this in place last fall. For “dates” of stay I took the same dates that we stayed in 2015 and found the rates for 2016 so be aware there is potential for minor variations.
- Summary: We paid full retail price. Stayed 4 nights here
- Retail Cost: 420 Euros
- What we paid: 420 Euros
- Summary: We paid $0 and stayed 1 night here. We saved approx. 610 Euros.
- Retail Cost: 610 euros per night or 40k Marriott points
- What we paid: We used 40k Marriott points from Ben’s Chase Marriott Rewards credit card. Annual fee on this card is $85. See How this works.
- We used Ben’s Silver Elite status benefits that accompany his Marriott Rewards credit card to take advantage of extra perks and even received an upgrade although they are not complimentary with this status.
- Summary: We paid $0. Stayed 2 nights here. We saved approx.. 3,698 Euros.
- Retail cost: 1,849 Euros per night or 496,301 Hilton Honors points
- What we paid: We used around 160k points from Ben’s Citi Hilton Honors credit cards for a 2 night stay. Annual fees on these cards total $75.
- We received a massive upgrade to a King Tower Suite.
- We told the concierge Hilton rep to put honeymoon in “notes” for our stay. Be advised – people fake this so it’s suggested one takes a copy of their marriage certificate.
- Ben also used a strategy called “Status match” to get Hilton Diamond membership level status which certainly helped our cause.
- Note – one cannot expect such a great upgrade. We were both strategic and lucky.
- Summary: We paid $0. Stayed 2 nights here. We saved approx. 1,380 Euros.
- Retail cost: 690 Euros per night
- What we paid: We used Ben’s 2 FREE nights at Hyatt properties worldwide voucher from his Chase Hyatt credit card. Annual fee of this card is $0 the first year, then $75 each year after.
- We received an upgrade to a Park Deluxe King room.
- We used Ben’s Hyatt Platinum Membership which accompanies his Chase Hyatt credit card to receive extra perks, including preferred rooms upon arrival.